We are using freerdp to connect to Windows Server 2012 servers and it works
great.

We would like to produce a similarly up to date Java RDP client, and open
source it, ideally as part of the freerdp project, but otherwise as a
separate project. We believe there are no open source Java RDP clients that
are being updated (the closest being properjavardp which hasn't had an
update in 5 years and connects to 2008 but not to 2012) - please correct me
if I'm wrong.

We are aware of freerdp-webconnect but that has a number of difficulties
for us (such as lack of support for browsers that don't support websockets
and Canvas).

We'd be prepared to pay developers to do this if it can be done quickly -
contact me on or off list if interested. For someone who knows the
protocol, I'd expect modifying properjavardp (which appears to be almost
there) is probably a relatively small job.

Is this something the freerdp project would be interested in? If it were
based on properjavardp, does the fact that properjavardp is GPL and freerdp
is Apache licensed constitute an insurmountable hurdle to inclusion within
the freerdp project?

--
Alex Bligh