Zhang,

You could perform the steps you show in 1., where you sample your ROI
directly to the subjects surface, rather than going through the
fsaverage subject.  Ultimately, you would (or should) end-up with the
same result as that from following the steps in the wiki page (going
through fsaverage).  The difference is that you only need to do the
sampling of the ROI to fsaverage only once, whereas with what you want
to do, you do it for every subject.  Not a big deal if you dont have
that many subjects.  btw, fsaverage is in talairach space, so its not
distorting things much by performing that registration (the .dat file
from fslregister has very small values).

I'm not sure about the useful of performing 2., where you sample the
thickness data to the volume.  This is not usually done (I dont think).
You will have a volume with voxel values equal to the thickness of the
cortex around that voxel, but there is no hard meaning of that value for
that voxel.  Typically mri_surf2vol is used to sample parcellation
labels into volume space.

I'm not sure why you are getting dimension mismatch errors. Use mri_info
on the files in question to get the dimensions.  Note this part of the
wiki instructions in the last two steps:

cd $SUBJECTS_DIR/subjid/surf

noting that 'subjid' is the name of your subject.  If you remain in the
$SUBJECTS_DIR/fsaverage/surf directory from the previous steps, you will
get the mismatch error (which i just discovered myself).

Nick