just to add a factoid, from the ADNI data set, 793 subjects processed by
freesurfer:
                         Volume             Mean:       StdDev:
                   Left-Hippocampus      3184.335       604.930
                  Right-Hippocampus      3233.753       621.896

seems pretty symmetric, with the right being slightly larger (but within
std).  this subject set is a mix of controls, MCI and AD patients.

n.