Hi Michael,

while fslmaths has an option to do "2D" smoothing, this is still only
smoothing in a slice of the volume and has the same problems as 3D
smoothing (ie, smoothing across tissue types and sulci). The "2D" that
FS implements with mris_volsmooth is along the cortical surface, which
is unrelated to the volume axes. So, unfortunately, you do still have to
do two analyses if you want a volume-based analysis with smoothing.

doug