Hi all,

I'm creating binary mask volumes in a subject's native functional space from
the segmented brain in aparc+aseg.mgz (FS v 4.5). I have found that doing
this two different ways produces different results, and I'm wondering if
anyone can illuminate why this might occur and which method is more
appropriate (or what other method you would suggest)...

Method 1: Resample aparc+aseg.mgz into native functional space using
mri_label2vol --seg aparc_aseg.mgz --fillthresh 0.5 [...plus the rest of the
appropriate inputs such as subject's bold/register.dat]

Then I just parse the resulting image (using matlab or python code) into
separate binary masks for each unique identifier that I'm using...E.g., for
right IPL I load this image and create a new volume [newVol =
(oldVol==2008)] and save that out.

Method 2: Create a label file from aparc+aseg.mgz for each unique identifier
that I'm using, and then use mri_label2vol to produce a binary mask in
native functional space:
mri_cor2label --i aparc+aseg.mgz --id 2008 --l rIPL.label
mri_label2vol --label rIPL.label --fillthresh 0.5 [... plus the rest of the
required inputs, same as those used in Method 1]

Even though these seem like they should be equivalent to me, and although
the masks produced agree for the most part, I generally get several more
voxels per ROI using Method 2 than I do using Method 1 (and not complete
overlap otherwise). For instance, for one subject, Method 1 yields 308
voxels in rIPL, but Method 2 yields 316 voxels; disagreement between the two
occurs in a total of 26 of those voxels, so it isn't just a matter of Method
2 being more generous. The discrepancy seems to be proportional to the size
of the ROI, so I get just a handful of disagreements for smaller ROIs (but
it seems to happen almost all the time).

Thanks for any advice on which method is better, or a suggestion of a better
method.

Best,
Tim