I figured out that what i want to be calling is mri_tessellate but on a
mask of the cortical WM.
I can create this mask from aseg.mgz provided I know what the labels
that i want extracted are.

Is there a file somewhere that says that 2 and 41 are the cortical WM.
ideally I'd like to know all of the labels so that i won't have to
bother people everytime i want to look at a different region.

Thanks.
Luke