Michael,

Thanks for the hint.

Here's a program that converts the surface + annotation in a Stanford PLY
Object file

# Create ply
# Stanford Object format
from surfer import io as io_

surface = io_.read_geometry
('/Applications/freesurfer/subjects/bert/surf/lh.pial')
labels = io_.read_annot
('/Applications/freesurfer/subjects/bert/label/lh.aparc.annot')

facenum = len(surface[1])
vertnum = len(surface[0])

print "ply"
print "format ascii 1.0"
print "comment VCGLIB generated"
print "element vertex %d"%vertnum
print "property float x"
print "property float y"
print "property float z"
#print "property int flags"
print "property uchar red"
print "property uchar green"
print "property uchar blue"
print "property uchar alpha"
print "element face %d"%facenum
print "property list uchar int vertex_indices"
print "end_header"
for i in xrange(vertnum):
    vert = surface[0][i];
    color = labels[1][labels[0][i]]
    print "%f %f %f %d %d %d
%d"%(vert[0],vert[1],vert[2],color[0],color[1],color[2],color[3])

for i in xrange(facenum):
    face = surface[1][i]
    print "3 %d %d %d"%(face[0],face[1],face[2])