joshua,

try adding -use-mritotal to the end of your recon-all command.  it will
use an alternate way to compute the talairach.xfm which works better on
some data.

the change from v5.0 to v5.1 in the talairach stage was that in v5.1,
the talairach.xfm is needed to compute nu.mgz, so the talairach stage
needs to precede the nu_correct stage.  this means the talairach stage
can no longer use nu.mgz as input, which seems to work better than
orig.mgz for some data (and is the case for your data).

in the next release of freesurfer, recon-all will automatically try the
alternate method (mritotal) if the default talairach_avi method fails
the tal-check.

n.