the intensity normalization has a region growing component that is bounded
by intensity gradients. In images like MPRAGE, where SNR is traded for CNR
it can help to raise the threshold for stopping so that more white matter
is included (that's what the -b 20 does, I think the default it 10 or 15).
This is usually not good for SPGR/FLASH and can result in the region
growing "escaping" the white matter and eroding the gray matter, which
looks like it happened in your case.