I don't think this is aproblem either. tkmedit/freeview will be showing
it in the acquisition RAS space (not the image coordinate space). I
don't think there is anything wrong with the actual data. If the volumes
from other packages do not show up this way in tkmedit/fv then it may
mean that they are throwing away this information. You can throw it away
too when you run mri_convert, something like

mri_convert dicom output.nii  -iid 1 0 0 -ijd 0 1 0 -ikd 0 0 1

see if that at least causes the funny images to go away.

Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.
MGH-NMR Center
gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Phone Number: 617-724-2358