The "freadFloat: fread failed" is a warning, not an error, and can be
ignored.

The ces.nii.gz, cesvar.nii.gz, sig.nii.gz files are surface overlays
stored in a "volume" format, so they have to be viewed on the surface.
You can do with this with something like:

   $> tksurferfv fsaverage lh inflated -ov sig.nii.gz -fminmax 2 3

-Zeke