Hi Freesurfer Experts,
   Just as a followup through my reading i've come across posts which use
qcache, mris_fwhm, mri_surf2surf or mris_smooth for smoothing.  For my
cortical thickness analysis I would like to smooth all of my
rh/lh.thickness.fsaverage.mgh files for each subject in order to run a
group analysis.  After finding regions of difference, I would then like to
use the ROI to extract each individual's mean thickness in the ROI in order
to run a correlation with other measures.  Based on this, I assume it would
make sense to use smoothed data to identify the ROI and then use unsmoothed
data for extracting actual thickness measures (does lh.thickness.fsaverage
contain the original thickness or warped thickness values).

I am unsure which smoothing is the most accurate or preferred.  In using
qcache the smoothness of the images do not seem to reach the filter level
(based on the earlier email) so I am not sure if there is a freesurfer tool
to check the smoothness level or if the qcache smoothness levels make sense
for cortical thickness.

Thanks,
Ajay