It estimates the FWHM from the data (glmdir/fwhm.dat). It does this by
computing the pearson correation coefficient of the residual error
between adjacent vertices. This is then averaged over all vertices to
compute a mean cor coef. A transform is then applied to compute the
FWHM. This is consistent in that if you synthesize white gaussian noise
on the surface, then smooth it with a given FWHM (mri_surf2surf or
mris_fwhm), then use that data to compute the FWHM, the applied and
estimated FWHM will be equal (or close).

If you look in a given file produced by the simulator, eg,

$FREESURFER_HOME/average/mult-comp-cor/fsaverage/lh/cortex/fwhm10/abs/th20/mc-z.cdf
the two relevant columns will be MaxClustBin and MaxClustCDF, eg,
# BinNo  MaxClustBin MaxClustPDF MaxClustCDF GRFCDF    MaxSigBin
MaxSigPDF MaxSigCDF
   33      181.572128   0.010100     0.092500  0.132425 14.427808
0.004600  0.593700
Means that a cluster of size 181.57 has a probability of 0.0925 under
the null when the FWHM=10 and the threshold is p<.01 (th20)

Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.
MGH-NMR Center
gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Phone Number: 617-724-2358