no, you need full brain coverage in at least one, but we do have some prototype tools that use a smaller FOV image after a recon to segment specific structures (including at least a bit of work on the STN).

As I said though, depending on the details of the 40 slice image I would be cautious about using it as a gold-standard to interpret the T1. I would need more information to say for sure