Dear Kristine,

I am currently experimenting with prepending PreFreeSurferPipeline.sh to
recon-all (of HCP pipelines https://github.com/Washington-University/Pipelines
) which does APCP alignment, robust FOV (cropping of unrelevant parts of image
FOV - neck etc.), bias correction and (optionally) FNIRT-based skullstrip and
gradient nonlinearity correction.

I believe that ACPC alignment could prevent Talairach registration
errors/inaccuracies in recon-all which could have profound effect on subsequent
skullstrip and subcortical labeling (it could at least prevent to disastrous
errors which some other users reported recently, such as this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/msg51789.html). This
could also help to mutual registration of data of multiple sessions (i.e. in
longitudinal studies) to compensate different head positioning.

It  could be also beneficial to use FNIRT-based skullstrip to help (or even to
replace) freesurfer's skullstrip (as is it done in FreeSurferPipeline.sh of HCP
pipelines), since, to my experience, the inaccurate skullstrip is basis of most
errors in FreeSurfer reconstruction stream.
This FNIRT skullstrip works fine with our high-quality data from 64-channel
coil acquired by protocol similar to Human connectome project (I ocasionally
find only several, probably negligible amount of voxels of gray matter
cut-out), but not as good with older data where significant parts of gray
matter are often cut-out.

The drawback is that when you want to get to the original space, you have to
account one more transformation and there is one more step in processing
pipeline you need to check.

This is my view based on current experience. I would also greatly appreciate
any comment (different perspective) of other users.

Regards,

Antonin

Dear Freesurfer team,

This may sound like a bit of a small question, but I could not find any exact
answer elsewhere.Does the exact orientation of the input image have much effect
on the accuracy
of the segmentation in Freesurfer?
It seems that some people apply ACPC alignment to the output of Freesurfer, so
I am confused as to which order would be optimal.

Thank you in advance,
Kristine