From: freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
<freesurfer-boun...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> on behalf of Diamond, Bram Ryder
<brdiam...@mgh.harvard.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2018 11:07:42 AM
To: matthieuvanhou...@gmail.com
Cc: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu; astev...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Subject: [Freesurfer] Troubles to determine the type of recon editing needed

Hi Matthieu,

I've taken a look through the files you shared with us and I see the poor
surfaces in the posterior right hemisphere you were referring to in your
message. It looks like your subject has a combination of abnormally large
ventricles and significant wm abnormalities, so I'm surprised FreeSurfer did as
well as it did.

As for the recon editing - I would recommend editing the wm.mgz to more
accurately represent the wm from slice 84 to 39. You can take a look at the
white matter edits
tutorial<https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FsTutorial/WhiteMatterEditsV6.0>
 for details on how to do that. Then run the following command (substituting
<subj_id> for your subject's id):

recon-all -autorecon2-wm -autorecon3 -subjid <subj_id>

The surface reconstruction may also benefit from labeling the right lateral
ventricle in the wm.mgz (as an intensity of 250) - but I'm not certain since
you didn't send us the surfaces for the left hemisphere. Before you do that,
edit the wm.mgz as explained in the tutorial and tell us how that goes.

All the best,

Bram

Bram R. Diamond, BSc
Research Technician II
Laboratory for Computational Neuroimaging
Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Massachusetts General Hospital
149 13th Street
Charlestown, MA 02129