Hi Matthieu

the aseg is used to automatically edit the wm.mgz, which helps the creation of cortical surfaces. For example, the ventricles are filled using the aseg. I think in your case with greatly expanded ventricles, some of the ventricular voxels were incorrectly labeled in the aseg and hence resulted in incorrect surfaces.