Hi Mike

we expect the cortex to have the topology of a sheet, and pathologies that change that will cause unpredictable results. If you can segment the pathology you would typically want to fill it in in the wm.mgz. As for the deep segmentation, again it will be a case-by-case basis. The nonlineear warp used in the segmentation is extremely flexible so it should be able to handle relatively large deformations, but at some point of course it will fail.