If this is not something you have to do a lot of, you can put a repositioning point. See the release notes.

On 2/21/2022 1:10 PM, Fischl, Bruce wrote:

Hi Edan

Control points might be helpful in both cases, but you are right it is more often the case when the wm is too dark. Another thing you can try is using expert options for mri_segment to constrain the intensity ranges of wm/gm. Or you could try using the samseg stream (someone else will have to help you with this, but it might well do better for your acquisitions)

Cheers

Bruce

*From:* Edan Daniel <ed...@princeton.edu>
*Sent:* Monday, February 21, 2022 11:14 AM
*To:* Fischl, Bruce <bfis...@mgh.harvard.edu>
*Cc:* Freesurfer support list <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
*Subject:* Re: [Freesurfer] autorecon2-wm not reflecting edits in white matter segmentation (7.1.1, 7.2.0)

*        External Email - Use Caution *

Thanks Bruce!

This looks like a helpful solution for the places where the wm is not identified- we will definitely try it!

We have one other type of issue which is more prevalent, that I was not sure if control points will be able to help with (we have not worked with control points before so sorry if this is a misinformed question)

The main issue we're facing is that the final segmentation we get is too aggressive, that is, in many places too *many* voxels are categorized as wm and thus we have lower ability to characterize properties of the gray matter in the occipital cortex. What we usually do is clean the wm segmentation to make it less bulky, but now these edits are not being incorporated in the final segmentation. We are very confused by this because this type of edits were easily incorporated in v6, but not with v7.

From my understanding- the control points would be helpful in the opposite case- where not enough voxels are recognized as wm (such as in the rightmost part of the attached image)- but not much in the rest of the image where we can see that the magenta borders (x.orig.nofix) are 'tighter' around the wm when compared to the borders after running through recon -wm (teal, x.white.preaparc).

Is there a way to leverage the control points for this cause, or is there something else we can try to make the recon -wm less stubborn and accept our manual edits?

For reference, the full command we run is as follows:

    recon-all -autorecon2-wm -autorecon3 -subjid '
    freesurferfoldername ' -cc-crs ' num2str(corpus_point)

Attaching another image - please let me know if the visibility here is better or if you'd like to see a different visualization.

Many thanks!!!!

Edan @ PrincetonBrainDevLab