On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 11:32:50AM +0100, Q wrote:
> However my impression now is that people appear to fall into two camps on
> this, those who are concenrned about the exact letter of the law and who are
> anxious to comply - and those who don't give a damn, think these laws are
> silly and absubed and and unjust and who are willing to accept ay
> 'percieved' risks in order to pursue as what they see as their inherant
> civil liberties.
>
> I guess its not hard to work out which camps both you and I fall into.

You don't necessarily have to fall into a camp. I definitely find the
legalities absurd, and many countries have even deemed DVD
restrictions illegal (in some parts of Europe and Australia IIRC)

> Personally I don't give a damn - and for those who do, given the long
> standing legal status of these issues (as far as I know they have always
> been technically illegal under Linux) then maybe this isn't the best place
> for them to be? The status of MP3 and DVD playback on MS windows has at
> least always been pretty clear. If you wish to tie yourself up in legal
> knots, this is likely to be the only way (for now) that you will be able to
> resolve them.

Actually even Windows would require you to download a seperate
application to watch DVDs... but it's more due to mpeg2 licensing.

> Until however we see a single sucessful prosecution of someone using a Linux
> operating system to backup their own legally owned media, the so called
> 'risks' involved are in  my view heavily overstated.

Aubin