On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 04:36:25PM +0300, Matthieu Weber wrote:
> > They are testing copy protected audio cds in Germany right now. I bet
> > until the end they have the same in Canada for all new stuff.
>
> Same in France (where I'm from) and in Finland (where I live). Or do you
> think about yet another Audio CD protection system?

Copy protected CDs is probably a grey area, because you don't need to
work around the copy protection in playback hardware...

> One solution is to host the runtime in a country which has not such
> restrictions, or tell people to get and compile their own mplayer if
> they want to watch DVDs, and distribute an mplayer without DeCSS. And
> tell U.S. citizens that they are not allowed to download mplayer anyway.

That's not actually necessary. mplayer shouldn't be linked directly to
dvdcss, but to dvdread which is in turn linked to dvdcss. On Debian,
for example, the official archives only distribute dvdread, but you
can get dvdcss and use it without a recompile.

> DMCA in USA *is* that stupid too, AFAIK. But France is following the
> same path than Germany. Only Finland refused the EUCD at first (but it
> will come anyway later I suppose).

Canada might be next... we'll see I guess.

Aubin