On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 13:15, Q wrote:
> Well I asked about this on JustLinux.com. It was them that pointed out the
> Hollywood range of cards too me. But I guess they got it wrong too.
>
> Is there such a thing as a hardware decoder? It would be nice to be able to
> have something that decoded my DVDs in just the same way my stand alone dvd
> player did. I tried seaching Google on this but all I could find were people
> talking about the Hollywod cards and another similar (seemingly
> discontinued) Creative card.

There is something as a hardware decoder... The Hollywood cards. They do
mpeg2 decoding in hardware.

Your DVD player read a stream of data that happens to be mpeg2, and that
can be passed onto your hardware decoder if you have one, or let
software handle it.

> It seem a kind of obvious thing that there should be a card like this, but
> maybe there is a good reason there isn't?

> PS
>
> Thanks for stopping me from throwing good money away for nothing very
> useful. :)

<snip>

--
Kim Pedersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>