I am very interested in this, I still ahve analog cable because of the fact that I don't wanna have lots of boxes around the house to watch tv and for things like freevo. If there is a reasonable hardware/software soln I would be very interested. Has anyone in the US done this??

Also, I don't seem to be able to find xawtv-decrypt, I see something that is supposed to unscrable analog tv, but that is not so much what I am looking for.
Thanks
Matt

Roh . wrote:

well unless there is something very strange going on over there in the states, it actually is, the only difference is some companys scramble their channels so only their set-top boxes can decode it.
But dont stress, some smart linux coders have made a version of xawtv called xawtv-decrypt, which uses software to descramble the channel.
The digital tuner cards are perfectly suitable to digital cable or sat signals. I know of people here who have PVR-350's and can watch foxtel digital without a problem, they just cant record anything yet because the add-ons to xawtv havnt yet been made as a patch or add-on to other software, such as mencoder.

If you want to see if this works, you need a digi tuner card, and if you can tune into the channel and hear the audio but the picture is all messed up - then it will work but you just need xawtv-decrypt, and if you really want to you can start coding up a patch for other recording/viewing software (or google really hard 'cos someone may have already done it).