On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 08:37, Roh . wrote:
> >What type of hardware do I need to be able to set up a freevo box with
> >digital cable?
> >
> how about a digital tuner card? just the same as analogue but its digital!!

Uh... digital cable isn't based on a standard like broadcast cable.
There aren't tuner cards for it.

This kind of smartass answer is what makes people new to Open Source
think we're jackasses.

> >Obviously I need some sort of IR device to tell the digital cable box to
> >tune to a channel... and change my recording script to check the channel
> >and send an IR event to tune it before starting to record... but what
> >hardware do I need to send IR?
> >
> have a look at LIRC, a 1 second google for "linux IR" or "linux infra-red"
> would've found your answer.

Actually, I got the impression that LIRC was for receiving IR events,
not sending them.

> >I'm assuming that the IR ports that most motherboards have aren't the
> >same form of IR that remotes use, so I wouldn't be able to just get the
> >IR expansion for the motherboard.
> >
> no, they are IrDa ports. again - look at LIRC docs and learn something, you
> can use irda ports but RTFM!
>
> >Would be really nice to record things without commercials in addition to
> >the shows I like to watch :)
> >
> >--StormeRider
>
> if that pleases you then go for it - google HOW-TO's and set it up.
> personaly why bother when mplayer can skip 10 secs, 1 minute or ten minutes
> -that way adverts fly-by!

I meant that the channels that play movies without commercials are the
ones I can't access off the basic cable via the tuner card. To get the
higher channels, ala HBO/Cinemax/etc, I need to be able to tune the
digital cable box.

> Can i say to all - how about searching for possible solutions first, this
> mailing list should be your last resort!
> of all the mailing lists im on - somehow freevo always seems to have people
> who seem to not have spent 1 minute looking for information themselves, they
> just ask us - look first, we should be your last resort!!!!
>
> rohbags.

And maybe some people have spent some time looking and didn't happen to
be on the right track to find the answers. I spent some time goggling
around on IR and finding various software components and not seeing
hardware mentioned... which was the topic I was asking about.

Why is it that people have to assume that people asking for answers are
lazy and not that they haven't been able to find the answer?

Running the risk of getting flamed for asking a simple question after
spending time googling and searching through the mailing list archives
(which is plenty painful via sourceforge) is why mailing lists like this
ARE a last resort.

--SR