One thing that Freevo 2.0 needs besides the (obviously) functionality is
the looks. None of the existing skins look appealing nor do fully utilize
the capabilities of the modern displays.

Disappointing looks are some of the the reasons people are looking towards
projects like xbmc for example.

I have started playing with some skinning in 1.9.x and came up with a
clone of the xbmc confluence skin look for freevo. The work is 80% done
and looks quite impressive already. I will post some screenshots later on
today in a separate thread on the freevo-devel list for comments.
Especially nice are the new audio player screens, both attached and
detached (I use PlayStateDialog) as well as video PlayState screen which
all look (almost) identical to xbmc ones.

Features like fancy animations etc. are beyond current capabilities of
Freevo (and I'm not sure if really necessary) but the final result is,
nevertheless, quite nice and esthetically pleasing.

If this is accepted, then we should start thinking at porting this to
Freevo 2.0 (which I can definitely help with).

Cheers,
Maciej