If you can speak c++, you should have NO problem with python.  Even I
can program somewhat in python!  (NOT well, mind you)

On a side note, I am in no rush to try 2, I fairly happy with Freevo 1.
(For the life of me, I never could get dvbstreamer working nor svn, but
1.9 works for my needs)  And, my wife will kill me if I "mess around
with that thing" anymore.  Never tried XBMC but, if it's anything like
Boxee, it's nice, but it's not Freevo - it's cluttered, sluggish on my
old pentium4, and it doesn't record.  Using Freevo to launch Boxee or
Huludesktop is great, but not enough to make me want to get rid of Freevo.

Truly would be a shame to see Freevo die.  I know I've said a couple
times before, but I really will get around to helping on the Wiki where
I can.  As I have said before, if Freevo were distributed as a live
distro that was easier to install (Maybe.... like piren was aiming to
be?), and didn't have to deal with lirc bugs (Ubuntu), I think more
people would use it.