Excellent, thanks very much!

If I may offer what I have found:

1.  Setting screen to 640x480 and setting the quality to low (look for
at the bottom of the screen) seemed to greatly smooth the picture
quality on my old computer.  Unable to make freevo work at 640x480
(/etc/freevo/freevo.conf - didn't make any difference, freevo was too
big!!), I wrote a quick script to launch it as such:

/usr/bin/xrandr -s 640x480
/usr/bin/huludesktop
/usr/bin/xrandr -s 800x600

2.  Finding the mythtv documentation, I got lirc working by adding the
'-r' as follows:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hulu_Desktop_Integration#LIRC_Configuration

Followed, of course, by a service lirc restart.

Reading the output from irw, I changed my remote type and my
button_name_menu in /home/freevo/.huludesktop

lirc_remote_identifier = Hauppauge_350
button_name_menu = Go

I have searched far and wide for documentation on how to add other
buttons than the following six, but have found none.  If anybody has any
tips, please send along.

button_name_up = Up
button_name_down = Down
button_name_left = Left
button_name_right = Right
button_name_select = OK
button_name_menu = Go

Thanks again - great wiki article.  When I get a day off (eventually),
I'll try to add a couple of my own.