On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Dan Schmidt <helpdesk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Excellent, thanks very much!
>
> If I may offer what I have found:
>
> 1.  Setting screen to 640x480 and setting the quality to low (look for
> at the bottom of the screen) seemed to greatly smooth the picture
> quality on my old computer.  Unable to make freevo work at 640x480
> (/etc/freevo/freevo.conf - didn't make any difference, freevo was too
> big!!), I wrote a quick script to launch it as such:
>
> /usr/bin/xrandr -s 640x480
> /usr/bin/huludesktop
> /usr/bin/xrandr -s 800x600
>
> 2.  Finding the mythtv documentation, I got lirc working by adding the
> '-r' as follows:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hulu_Desktop_Integration#LIRC_Configuration
>
> Followed, of course, by a service lirc restart.
>
> Reading the output from irw, I changed my remote type and my
> button_name_menu in /home/freevo/.huludesktop
>
> lirc_remote_identifier = Hauppauge_350
> button_name_menu = Go
>
> I have searched far and wide for documentation on how to add other
> buttons than the following six, but have found none.  If anybody has any
> tips, please send along.
>
> button_name_up = Up
> button_name_down = Down
> button_name_left = Left
> button_name_right = Right
> button_name_select = OK
> button_name_menu = Go
>
> Thanks again - great wiki article.  When I get a day off (eventually),
> I'll try to add a couple of my own.

Those are some great ideas to add in.  I'll let you add them since you
are probably more familiar with them then I am.  I run Freevo and Hulu
at 1366x768, which is I'm sure the reason it gets choppy if I don't
scale up the CPU.    I also use this USB IR receiver:

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-USB-Remote-Control-Mouse/dp/B001M56DI0

with a Logitech Harmony 300 programmed to emulate it.  It more or less
just works like a keyboard, so I just had to remap a few keys to make
it work.  Instead of figuring out lirc, I just setup a "fix
controller" script that I have on my home screen of Freevo that
executes the following:
#!/bin/bash
xmodmap -display :0 -e 'keycode 162 = u'
xmodmap -display :0 -e 'keycode 153 = f'
xmodmap -display :0 -e 'keycode 144 = r'
xmodmap -display :0 -e 'keycode 176 = m'
xmodmap -display :0 -e 'keycode 174 = n'
xmodmap -display :0 -e 'keycode 160 = F3'
xmodmap -display :0 -e 'keycode 164 = Escape'
xset -display :0 -dpms
xset -display :0 s off

The last two turn off any screen savers since I was having the screen
go out and not wake back up.  It probably isn't the most elegant way
to do it, but I just have a big Initialize menu option at the start of
Freevo and just have to run it if there is a reboot.  I tried putting
it in as a startup script, but it seems to only work once Freevo is
loaded, probably because it needs the display to be loaded and ready
for the xmodmaps.

Anyway, thanks for the input, glad you liked the HowTo.

Preston