You're quite right that arguing whether computer intelligence will be
like human intelligence is not the point, but how we can make computer
intelligence useful.  The ways you've been pointing out for how
computers can mine the 'Rosetta stone' type archives that people of all
kinds put together, are wonderful.  It potentially offers useful
extracts from different points of view of the same things.

It seem to me to represent computers being used to refer to ideas, but
it does something possibly more useful in my reckoning.   It offers
another way to attack the wall of subjectivity, buy exposing people to
independent constructs relating to the same things, adding perspective
to information.  Lack of perspective is one of the great barriers to
meaningful thought and any help on the would be great.  I don't expect
machines with 'separate intelligence' except by growing them in the
usual way, but new formats for information serving as 'extensions of
intelligence' that enable a new levels of thought, that may well be
possible!

Phil Henshaw                       ¸¸¸¸.·´ ¯ `·.¸¸¸¸
680 Ft. Washington Ave
NY NY 10040
tel: 212-795-4844
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]