I guess the thing the brain does, when it has the experience, is suggest
avenues for exploration & you suggest a better way for a computer to do
some version of that than I was thinking of.  If your search engine was
linked to a database of possible associations like you describe it could
prompt a little pull down menu, as if a spell check prompt, of other
word associations you might be looking for.  It could get those
associations from Wiki sources, dictionaries, encyclopedias and things.
It might filter trade name publications for commercial word
associations, and scientific papers for scientific ones, and the
blogisphere for others, and perhaps give you a selection of alternate
association groupings derived from each source.

That solves the problem that the computer has no way to have any of the
ideas any word refers to for a person, or that it might suggest to a
knowledgeable person, by intelligently focusing the computer's sources
of information.  In a sense it's the opposite of 'garbage in & filtered
garbage out' you get 'wisdom in & filtered wisdom out'.   So I'd put
that in the 'very smart' category for the programmer, but not
necessarily for the computer.  Are you saying that the 'contextualize'
function extracts the meanings of the words though, and looks for other
associations with those meanings, or does it just reflect things like
frequency and proximity of occurrence.

I'd be very interested in what advanced 'contextualize' functions
actually do, of course, in that some programmer may have been very smart
in thinking of other tell-tale syntax structures in addition to
proximity that a computer might discern, but I'm not aware of any that
would correspond to 'meaning' yet.

Phil Henshaw                       ¸¸¸¸.·´ ¯ `·.¸¸¸¸
680 Ft. Washington Ave
NY NY 10040
tel: 212-795-4844
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]