So I take it you've not been following the literature on levels of CO2 and
methane emissions from hydroelectric plants? (
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7046 for example). There's an
enormous pulse in greenhouse gases when the reservoir is flooded and trees
and vegetation rot. In some cases this represents more lifetime emissions
than if you'd been running an oil or gas plant.

Robert