A surprisingly well founded measure of global enniron impact of anything is
$1=8000btu, across the board!  It's valid measure of a global system property!

-----Original Message-----
From: Owen Densmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:26:32
To:The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Edge: The Need for Heretics

On Aug 12, 2007, at 12:07 PM, Roger Critchlow wrote:
> On 8/12/07, David Mirly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> 2) It would be wise to attempt to minimize our impacts on such a
>> complex system when we don't even partially understand the
>> consequences.
>
> Just to beat on the defenders of the status quo some more, their
> rationale
> for denying climate change and not messing with the economy is
> essentially
> the same:  it, the economy, is a complex system where we don't even
> partially understand the consequences of even small changes, so it
> would be
> wise to minimize our impacts on it.
>
> So we have the same rhetoric of conservatism on both sides of the
> question.

One of the best retorts against the status quo is "total cost" of a
product, including its entire life cycle.  Many opportunistic
capitalists "cheat" by leaving much of the cost of their products to
others.

The computer industry is improving in this regard: offering
responsible recycling for every product, included in the original
cost.  Apple lets you send computers back to them at their end of
life.  HP includes ink jet recycling envelopes.  This is at least
hopeful.  And Gore, for all his faults, is doing an astounding job of
raising awareness.

     -- Owen