An interesting corollary to that is that is that exponentials exceed even their
own internal response times,...

-----Original Message-----
From: David Mirly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 09:33:24
To:The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Edge: The Need for Heretics

I can't remember the source (sorry) but I do remember some "expert"
saying that the problem isn't just that the climate
is warming.  We've already pointed out the the Earth has been much
hotter than it is now.  He said the problem is that
it is warming up too fast (because of human activity) and the
ecosystem isn't able to adapt as fast.  He gave specific examples
including the current average temperature rate change at various
latitudes and correlated that with the migration speed of plants,
insects, etc. and said the additional velocity we have added makes
the temperature change outpace the migration speed of the
organisms.

On the other hand, the Earth has gone through significant climate
changes before and life has a way of adapting and surviving.  The
problem
from some peoples perspective is that the surviving organisms may not
include humans.  For others, that might not be a problem.  ;)

Personally I have enough "evidence" to have the following conclusions.

1) The Earth's climate is changing at a rate that we can observe in
our lifetime or at least observe within a couple of generations or so.
2) It would be wise to attempt to minimize our impacts on such a
complex system when we don't even partially understand the consequences.
3) As a whole we are not interested and/or too stupid to minimize our
impact.  At least until it's too late.