Nicely said, Claiborne.

At some level a certain degree of naivete is charming, perhaps even
forgivable.  On the other hand, stubborn attachment to an ivory tower
whitewashed notion about the noble human nature, combined with sympathies
for the "poor, downtrodden, uneducated, unwashed masses" is pretty
hypocritical.

If you have trouble believing that stupidity, racism, and just plain
ugliness are not a very large part of the human equation, and in fact are
the major drivers behind much of the flavor of our social network
interactions (I just threw that last bit in to appeal to the more academic
amongst us), take a quick glance at politics in the Democratic Republic of
The Congo:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/27472662#27472662

What are the similarities between their two-party system and ours?  Tutsi
vs. Hutu, Republican vs. Democrat.  A primary strategy employed in either
case is for each party to demonize the other.  The primary difference
between their style of politics and ours is that they use real bullets and
machetes to "prove" who's right.

Myself, I'd be happy with less ignorance, but I'd settle for more
intelligence.

--Doug