Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Opportunity to upgrade
From: rob...@cirrillian.com
Date: Thu, January 15, 2009 4:09 pm
To: "The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group"
<friam@redfish.com>

Thanks for everyone who shared their recommendations regarding what I should upgrade to following my HD crash.  I think 75% of those responding recommended the MacBook Pro and it really is a nice machine tho' still on my wishlist.

Meanwhile, I've rebuilt the Windows laptop with a 5400 rpm 130MB HD (cf 4800 rpm 20MB(sic) HD) and maxed out the memory at 1GB (was 640MB) (net cost about $110).  Mostly I was back up for communication purposes in about 2 days.  Getting the rest sorted (apps, iTunes downloaded from my iPod, and PDA syncing apps, email lists, etc. etc.) has taken a little longer.  This is enough to ask the next question:

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on disk image (backup) software for Windows XP?  Terrabyte, Acronis and Disk Snapshot look possibilities.

Thanks,
Robert
PS Three things are needed to make a secure computer: a) unplug the Internet, b) unplug the power, c) place in a locked hardened nuclear shelter and destroy the key (well may be four things.) R