Douglas Roberts wrote:
My toes are basking in the warm breeze from the back of my AMD64 server as I type this.  In the summer I open a window.

Nick Frost wrote:
I pale at the thought of how much
electricity is used on the average weekend in Santa Fe by fleets of
Pentium/Core 2 Duo desktops idling at the various offices in town, to say
nothing of the fact that during the week said machines CPU utilization is
often < %10 while they are used largely as input devices (Excel, Word,
IE7, Firefox, etc.) rather than for processing (wish they all ran the
BOINC client!).

I'm with Doug here (warming myself by the heat of my computer).

Don't look at your computer as an inefficient information processing machine, but rather as a space heater which gets (some) useful computation out the  conversion of electricity to heat!

Living in a house that is heated entirely by solar and wood (2 cords/winter), I don't feel bad about a few extra KW of electricity driving some informatically interesting work along the way to becoming heat in my house.   I LOVE how warm my MacBook Pro gets sitting in my lap on a frosty day like today!

If I ever get my homemade wind-generator online, I will need extra load on windy days anyway!  I'll be adding resistive heaters to my house to shunt any overload into (winter only).    I think I'll go pull some of my mothballed computers out of the shed and set them up to do SETI (or protein folding)-at-home projects, distributed around the cold spots in my house.   The (relative) low efficiency of their operation is a boon in this case!

I'll never look at an electric blanket or space-heater the same again!

Does anyone know how many KW-hours they use in their "conventional" homes?  My biggest power draws are the fan for my active solar panels (drawing hot air into a rock bed in the floor) and my well (when irrigating), I can't imagine that forced-air furnaces don't draw more electricity than my solar system and that most folks add spot-electric heat to their gas-furnace heated homes as well?

Thanks Doug!
 - Steve