Yes, if you remove the --delete parameter to the rsync call, then it will
not delete files that no longer exist in the source file system.  At RTI I
don't use --delete when backing up certain project shares, to protect
against users' "accidental" file deletions. Of course, you end up with a
backup archive that is much larger than the source file system this way.
With the --delete parameter, the backup is an exact mirror of the source.

--Doug

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Owen Densmore <o...@backspaces.net> wrote:

> Does rsync have a similar stunt .. where you can keep several versions of
> files?  Maybe there's a svn/rsync stunt that would help here.
>

>    -- Owen
>

> On Dec 23, 2008, at 8:49 AM, Douglas Roberts wrote:
>
>  My toes are basking in the warm breeze from the back of my AMD64 server as
>> type this.  In the summer I open a window.
>>
>> Backups are done like this:
>>
>> #
>> #/home/roberts
>> #
>> echo "Starting /home/roberts backup" >>/home/roberts/backup.log
>> date >>/home/roberts/backup.log
>>
>> /usr/bin/rsync -vurltD --delete
>> --exclude-from=/home/roberts/.rsync/exclude
>> /home/roberts /media/usb0 >>/home/roberts
>> /backup.log 2>&1
>>
>> echo "Completed /home/roberts backup" >>/home/roberts/backup.log
>> date >>/home/roberts/backup.log
>>
>> where /media/usb0 is a slow but fast-enough 1 TB USB drive that powers
>> itself off when not being used. When that one fills up I'll get another
>> and
>> modify the script to rsync in multiple chunks.
>>
>> Crude, but effective.
>>
>> --Doug

Doug Roberts, RTI International
drobe...@rti.org