Russell Standish wrote circa 10-12-06 02:03 PM:
> What you write is a good description of how it ought to be. Sadly, it
> is not a description of how it is.

Hm.  I can accept that your experiences make you think that.  My
experiences make me think the opposite.  Most of the scientists I know
grudgingly do reviews when asked, at least as many as they feel they can
handle.  Nick puts it well:

Nicholas Thompson wrote circa 10-12-06 12:21 PM:
> "What if nobody were willing to do this?"

And when I see review comments to papers I'm a co-author on, they
usually contain constructive feedback.  I do often have to sift through
prejudiced tangents or twist my mind to see their point of view in order
to get to the good stuff.  But it's almost always obvious that the
reviewer takes her professional responsibility seriously.  Perhaps I'm
just lucky in the scientists I know and the reviews I've gotten of my
work.  But as my dad always said: "I'd rather be lucky than good." ;-)