Yeah -- staying out of the name the pill controversy ;) -- one neat little
tidbit in the "I'm always amazed by how little I know and how little I've
thought about what I do know" category. We think of Arsenic as a poison, but
the only reason we think of it as a "poison" is (duh) that it is bad for *us*,
i.e. humans + every other critter that we've run into before now. But the
reason that it is bad is not that it is different from our chemistry, like an
acid, but that it is so close to our chemistry, being next to phosphorous on
the old periodic table, thus disrupting cellular mechanisms. So while typically
we think of things that are close in structure or design to be friendly in fact
here a movement to our nearest neighbor represents a major boundary shift,
while one to a distant neighbor would of course be quite unlikely as the
chances of slotting into the same role would be very slim. That idea could
certainly argue for the idea that the current six element setup is arbitrary
against some set of possible configurations. Once a choice is made in that
configuration space it would be very unlikely (and only under these kind of
extreme conditions) that we would move off it. The fact that we can (hmm, I
mean I actually probably can't so please don't subject me to any experiments)
anyway makes the argument that "because that's the only way it works here" even
more tenuous.