Tom Friedman's Op Ed
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/opinion/12friedman.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

He starts with shocking mortgage statistics, but then discusses
unemployment and its causes via this report:
http://www.mckinsey.com/mgi/publications/us_jobs/index.asp

Quote: McKinsey Global Institute released a long study of the
structural issues ailing the U.S. job market, entitled: “An Economy
That Works: Job Creation and America’s Future.” It begins: “Only in
the most optimistic scenario will the United States return to full
employment before 2020. Achieving this outcome will require sustained
demand growth, rising U.S. competitiveness in the global economy and
better matching of U.S. workers to jobs.”

Interestingly enough, they still feel education is important but
stress areas of current need.

BTW: The tech bubble folks are afraid of is likely NOT to be one. Marc
Andreessen (admittedly a techie) has compiled P/E ratios of the new
tech market and shows them to be well under traditional values. They'd
please any conservative investor.

Tom is concerned about the Uncertainty Tax .. our loss of production
due to fear of downturn unknowns, but ends: Any good news? Yes, U.S.
corporations are getting so productive and sitting on so much cash,
just a few big, smart, bipartisan decisions by Congress on taxes and
spending (and mortgages) and I think this whole economy starts to
improve again. Workers with skills will be the first to be hired.

   -- Owen