I know we all have our respective lenses through which we view the world and
that these lenses determine the explanations to which we are most receptive,
but if Mr. Friedman is talking about an inability to switch house as a reason
some people aren't able to take new jobs, it would seem appropriate to also
mention that many of the houses built during the last bubble were at the outer
accretion layers of suburbia and not particularly close to any jobs. Its as if
the people building these houses and the politicians maintaining policies that
support their build assumed either (1.) oil will always be cheap and people
wont mind spending 2 hours a day in their cars every working day or (2.) these
houses wont ultimately be paid for by wages. One aggravating factor of the bust
a few years ago which never gets as much mention as obscure financial
instruments or banking malfeasance relates the spike in oil prices in 2007 to
the initial wave of defaults in these outer suburbs. Granted, the people moving
into these marginal outer layers were probably the most marginal credit risks,
but its conceivable that any change for the worse could be all the more likely
to put them over the edge and into default.

I guess my bias is that I attribute too much to resource and energy scarcity.
When I see an explanation for either the start of our current troubles or why
we can't see an end, I expect it to ultimately reference these things. Although
there are a few brief mentions of energy efficiency as it relates to
productivity gains and as a possible source for new jobs in construction, this
is pretty paltry when you consider how world energy production has basically
flatlined, but there are many, many more consumers driving up its price (think
of all the new cars sold in China each day).

When I think of the U.S., I think we're almost uniquely disadvantaged by how
spread out our cities have become in the last 60 years and how the only option
for getting around that has been faithfully and consistently supported and
encouraged is the personal car.