I take it back. The government does run a large bureaucracy and is
constantly revising its processes and procedures. The government is
particularly vulnerable to having to publish its policy and procedure
changes because it's supposed to operate transparently.  The real question
is the extent to which these revisions impede business.  I suspect it's
minimal, although I can imagine that if one were concerned with having to
keep up with them all, just that burden might be substantial.  Are there
good examples of rule changes that impose a major burden on the economy?
 I'd be interested in seeing them. The question then becomes whether the
cost is worth the benefit.  For each rule change one can certainly argue
both sides.

In following Robert's pointer I picked one that looked interesting. It reads
as follows.

SUMMARY: The Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) is proposing changes to
the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) regulations
pertaining to SNAP client benefit use, participation of retail food
stores and wholesale food concerns in SNAP, and SNAP client
participation in the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
(FDPIR). These changes to SNAP regulations address mandatory provisions
of the Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 (hereinafter referred
to as ``the 2008 Farm Bill'') to allow for the disqualification of a
SNAP client who purchases, with SNAP benefits, products that have
container deposits for the purpose of subsequently discarding the
product and returning the container(s) in exchange for cash refund of
deposit(s) and/or resells or exchanges products purchased with SNAP
benefits for purposes of obtaining cash or other non-eligible items.

Apparently people were using their Food benefits to buy products that
came in containers for which rebates were available when the container
was returned. They then threw away the food and got cash back for the
container. This rule change disqualifies people who do that from the
Food benefit program. Should the Food and Nutrition Service have
bothered to make this regulation?  Is it worth the time of a
government employee to do this?  I don't know. It doesn't look like it
puts roadblocks in the way of economic progress, though.

These are the sorts of things one must live with whenever one has a
bureaucracy. I'm constantly getting notices from credit card
companies, banks, and insurance companies about how their terms of
service are being changed. (Normally, they just send the new terms of
service and don't highlight the changes. I think that's worse.)   I
can't say I spend much time reading them.

As a trained academic, that's my take on the steam of rules.

*-- Russ Abbott*
***  Professor, Computer Science*
*  California State University, Los Angeles*

*  Google voice: 747-*999-5105
*  blog: *http://russabbott.blogspot.com/
  vita:  http://sites.google.com/site/russabbott/