Hi Steve,

I am not sure about Google but many Internet Groups exhibit a bit of the
conventional school yard bully tactics.

In general this Friam Group seems relatively free from that sort of thing.
At least no one is accusing me of thinking I am some "Kind of Scientist"

I suspect that groups without the dirty deceit component are less stable.
Members rotate in and out freely. However in a situation like Penn State
there must have been a culture of entitlement. Entry into the Group was very
selective. That made the difference.

Such Groups could be called perverted. The local Gardening Club seems less
vulnerable. The more nasty the hazing ritual and the membership fees the
more likely it will dally with metaphysical rationalizations. ( Belief in
the Un Believable.)

Many such Groups apparently have a small cadre of cynics at the core
cleverly disguised in heroic roles. Now these cynics do not really believe
in the Group it is enough to have fools eager to believe for them. It seems
the worst outcome arises when the fools learn or suspect they have been
deceived. Bernie Madoff story.

Denial coupled by a willingness to believe in the UnBelievable seems to
create a stable structure.  Eventually the game gets so common that everyone
wants to run his own Group of Believers. This vector seems to explain the
Blogging phenomenon in a small part.  Typically one can test for a perverted
Group Structure by simply asking the" uncomfortable question" and wait for a
response. Such Groups seem very much used to slinging the dirt, what strikes
me as odd is that ,however divergent such Groups, they use the same
principles to attack and defend. False accusation , convenient accusation,
religious heresy, or pederasty are the favorite tools of character
assassination.

Of all the range of evil and deviant acts a human being can perpetrate why
only a handful are ever employed is curious and these seem to originate in
the pre Christian period. I guess no one will get a public hearing for
folding a document or collecting butterflies. But if someone declares the
butterfly to be endangered then maybe some small action would be taken. But
a sexual inpropriety Trumps all accusations. In the case of Penn State
perhaps the collaborators understood how dangerous the evidence was and kept
the secret to themselves, deluding themselves that there was no problem
anymore. Delusion and Group Perversion seem inextricable. I might add
entitlement, that feeling may have arisen simply because the cost of entry
in the Group was so restricted/inflated.

The openness of the internet may lead to the exposure of Group Perversion in
the long run and curtail this phenomenon, but in the short term the special
interest groups seem to be attempting to undermine the Net with much
nonsense. Most people are very Gullible ,Some few less so. Education should
have changed proportions but seems accidentally to have enhanced general
Gullibility. For a time I simply assumed most people were pathologically
stupid, I regret this assumption now. The truth seems more astonishing, even
very brilliant people are Gullible in certain aspects. A good scientist
never trusts his own judgment too easily except for microscopes and hotdogs.
His fellows should provide criticism when he goes astray.

Heroes never consider other options and therefore always end up as a
scapegoat for their former supporters/collaborators.

At Penn State there will be in time many more small voices of criticism
there may already have been many plastered over. But eventually we all must
understand that white lies to protect a colleague are insidious. You are
just as guilty of a crime as he. Collegiality is not an excuse to break the
law, nor is fear.

The real mystery is why it is so easy for us to become collaborators. We
actually operate like Mafia Gangs with a lot of Pomp and Ceremony.

I was asked recently by friends fro North Africa, "What should be done with
Collaborators" I have no answer, I am against capital punishment, but
understand that collaborators will ultimately pervert the next reincarnation
of government. Massive Jail sentences have been tried, the Chinese cultural
revolution was a failure, Stalin and Lenin tried as well and seemed for a
time to succeed. The problem is that there are so many collaborators even in
one's own family. Every day more are born.

Eric P Charles suggested we are selected to live in groups.. But perhaps we
are selected to be Gullible as well. There is a world of difference between
the stupid and the ruthless cunning but gullible. He insinuated that a
Strong mind would refuse to believe nonsense. I agree but as my father
warned me , you could just as easily be rewarded with a bullet between the
eyes.

If one examines political party structures in the West these entities should
always be distinguished from Garden Clubs by a simple test of Group
Perversion.

It seems 99% of North Americans are outside of the Proper Group and either
desire entry or desire justice. The poor slobs have been used by the
ambitious for millennia, will anything ever change.?

Perpetual Growth, unlimited energy , unlimited military power, unlimited
manpower all seem to be current UnBelievable  concepts. Without a convincing
delusion most Groups would disintegrate.

Human beings are not rational but have a strong belief that they are,
because they are chosen by God ; again UnBelievable based on another
UnBelievable.  If we wish to model human behavior we have dispense with the
unbelievable assumption that they are acting in their own best interests,
they clearly are not and have never. Some do fit this concept but usually
they are at the fringes of society. The UnBelievable ideas almost always
stink of some form of self referential circuitous logic.

The model of human societies should never include our own wishful imaginings
about ourselves the evidence is plainly before our eyes but blindness
obscures our thinking.

There are the pleasant Garden Clubs for orchid fanciers and there are
Academic Structures that protect crooks and paedophiles.  In fact a person
may actually occupy a position in both. I would be intrigued by what that
implies.

I was once shocked to learn of such a case while I was still attached to
academia. I could not for the life of me understand who it could have gone
undetected for so many years. The answer is willful blindness. Objecting to
the blindness of others is a very dangerous sport.

The willful blindness was pointed out in a different manner when the FBI
itself revealed that a victim must tell his story to 7 people before one
will act. I think that comes out to nearly 80% of us, who  are functional
collaborators. I suspect that 8 out of 10 "Occupy Wall Street " protestors
would happily collaborate with a new regime if given the chance. While some
of the issues are legitimate they will be quickly forgotten with some bribe,
"Loaves to the masses"

Vladimyr Ivan Burachynsky PhD

 <mailto:vbur...@shaw.ca> vbur...@shaw.ca

120-1053 Beaverhill Blvd.