Yes, group formation is complicated, but that is sidestepping the question.

The issue is: What happenings are people responding to when they believe
themselves to be members of a group, and what happenings are the members of the
group responding to when they believe someone else to now be a member.
Certainly there will be variation, but despite that variability there will also
be a high rate of predictability. There is a whole science (that I am not
immersed in) on group membership and group formation.

It is a simple problem that is difficult to solve because of the complexity. It
would be interesting to start brainstorming a simulation. A simple netlogo
program could be constructed, group membership could be a trait of the
individual. Group membership could be changed by a combination of self-traits
("desire", etc.) and circumstance ("acceptance by those around you", etc.).
There could even be room for an individual to "feel" they are part of a group
when many members of the group feel otherwise. The goal would be to determine
how environmental variables (especially variables we might have a shot of
manipulating in real life) effect the groups individuals feel they are a part
of.

Of course, as with any agent based modeling situation, one big challenge would
be constructing a simulation has flexibility to surprise us with its results
(i.e., one that doesn't just do exactly what we intentionally programmed it to
do).

Eric