Thanks for the clarification.  It is still surprising nonetheless.

----- Original Message -----
  From: Russ Abbott
  To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
  Cc: Hugh Trenchard
  Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 7:47 PM
  Subject: Re: [FRIAM] A Good Question - Should the United States join OPEC?

  We exported more petroleum products, not more oil. We are still net oil
importers.

  -- Russ Abbott
    Professor, Computer Science

    Google voice: 747-999-5105
    Google+: https://plus.google.com/114865618166480775623/
    vita:  http://sites.google.com/site/russabbott/

  On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM, Owen Densmore <o...@backspaces.net> wrote:

    From
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/03/us-becomes-net-exporter-o_n_857085.html

      While some Americans cut back on driving as gas prices soar, the U.S. has
become a net exporter of fuel for the first time in nearly 20 years.

      According to data from the Energy Department,starting last November --
with the exception of the month of January -- the U.S. began exporting more
petroleum products than it imported.

    This is not the source I got the idea from, its been in the news quite a
bit lately, this is just the first google hit I tried.

    The theory is that between the recession (thus less use of fuel, both
supply side and demand), conservation/efficiency, and more recent hi-tech
oil/gas exploitation (horizontal drilling), the US consumption has dropped and
the production has increased, causing a net surplus.

    It certainly is surprising.

       -- Owen