From: David Mirly <mi...@comcast.net>
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Sent: Wed, Feb 29, 2012 4:10 pm
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] [EXTERNAL] Re: A Good Question - Should the United States
join OPEC?

True, refineries use an enormous amount of electricity.

But my point was that natural gas is not an ingredient in the production of
gasoline itself.

If electricity generated by natural gas and then used by oil refineries was the
point of the original post then I missed that.

At the refinery I worked at, we built a coke gasification unit to generate our
own electricity.  40 Mw.

On Feb 29, 2012, at 12:30 PM, Parks, Raymond wrote:

> Heaters/furnaces/burners.
>
> They can be electric, either off-site or co-gen, or they can use waste
product.  However, natural gas is the most common.

> Ray Parks

refining (cracking the hydrocarbons)"

> I don't think natural gas and crude oil refining typically, if ever,
intersect.  A crude oil refinery (which, of course, makes gasoline among other
things) has only crude oil as it's main input.

> Now refineries differ from one another greatly in size and capabilities but I
have never heard of natural gas being used in the gasoline manufacture process.

> On Feb 29, 2012, at 10:55 AM, q...@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Greetings, all --
>>
>> "Gasland" is on my list, but in the meantime, I know that natural gas is an
input into gasoline refining (cracking the hydrocarbons) and with natural gas
at
(artificially?) low prices, our overall cost for refining gasoline in the US is
competitive worldwide. We're also the biggest user of gasoline (the fuel mix in
other countries focuses more on diesel), which means we have competitively
priced refined gasoline in general, and a bit of extra supply in particular at
the moment. The annual switchover of winter to summer gasoline has been
complicated by some scheduled maintenance and shut-downs at various refineries,
leading to a more pronounced annual spike than usual. Oh, and there's the
Straits of Hormuz thing...

>> My $0.02,
>>
>> - Claiborne Booker -

my mind is "Gasland'.  But I suppose if some ot those environmental issues can
be brought under control, natural gas seems like it will be a big economic
driver for a while.

having domestic capacity for petroleum refinement even though they are a crude
exporter.  So I guess capacity works both ways.  The other thing I know is
currently a hot topic is natural gas production.  I believe the US has
increased
its production quite a bit lately and is likely to have a lot more in the
future.

>> On Feb 28, 2012, at 8:40 PM, Hugh Trenchard wrote:
>>
>>> Just as a brief follow up, it seems to me one of the major factors in this
is that U.S. refining capacity has increased so that there is less need to
import refined petroleum products.  I haven't researched this in any detail and
I stand to be corrected on all my assertions, but it seems to me it's not as
though there are any new sources of US domestic supply or significant increase
in technological ability to extract previously hard to obtain oil, and likely
only marginal reduction in demand. There may be some, but my thought is the
hype
on this is rather misleading.  Again I don't have the figures, but my guess is
that the vast majority of US crude imports likely still come from Canada,
Mexico, and other western hemisphere nations, which the U.S. refining companies
refine and re-sell as petroleum products, both for domestic use and to export
abroad.

>>> The link below shows some of the definitions used in the petroleum/fuels
industry. From my skeptical standpoint, the hype could mislead the American
public toward a false sense of security.  I suppose if it stimulates the
economy, then that's good, but if it gets people guzzling more gas, then it's
really just a fool's game.

>>> http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/TblDefs/pet_move_imp_tbldef2.asp
>>>
>>> From the link: "Petroleum products are obtained from the processing of
>>> crude
oil (including lease condensate), natural gas, and other hydrocarbon compounds.
Petroleum products include unfinished oils, liquefied petroleum gases, pentanes
plus, aviation gasoline, motor gasoline, naphtha-type jet fuel, kerosene-type
jet fuel, kerosene, distillate fuel oil, residual fuel oil, petrochemical
feedstocks, special naphthas, lubricants, waxes, petroleum coke, asphalt, road
oil, still gas, and miscellaneous products."

become a net exporter of fuel for the first time in nearly 20 years.
>>> According to data from the Energy Department,starting last November -- with
the exception of the month of January -- the U.S. began exporting more
petroleum
products than it imported.

>>> This is not the source I got the idea from, its been in the news quite a
>>> bit
lately, this is just the first google hit I tried.

>>> The theory is that between the recession (thus less use of fuel, both
>>> supply
side and demand), conservation/efficiency, and more recent hi-tech oil/gas
exploitation (horizontal drilling), the US consumption has dropped and the
production has increased, causing a net surplus.

>>> It certainly is surprising.
>>>
>>>   -- Owen
>>>
>>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Hugh Trenchard <htrench...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>> Where did you see that the US is now a net oil exporter?  The attachments
below are 2008 and 2009, but I suspect the picture hasn't changed much since
then (US imports 75% of its oil for consumption). I believe I saw reference to
"potential exporter" in the NY Times article.