Just as a brief follow up, it seems to me one of the major factors in this is
that U.S. refining capacity has increased so that there is less need to import
refined petroleum products.  I haven't researched this in any detail and I
stand to be corrected on all my assertions, but it seems to me it's not as
though there are any new sources of US domestic supply or significant increase
in technological ability to extract previously hard to obtain oil, and likely
only marginal reduction in demand. There may be some, but my thought is the
hype on this is rather misleading.  Again I don't have the figures, but my
guess is that the vast majority of US crude imports likely still come from
Canada, Mexico, and other western hemisphere nations, which the U.S. refining
companies refine and re-sell as petroleum products, both for domestic use and
to export abroad.

The link below shows some of the definitions used in the petroleum/fuels
industry. From my skeptical standpoint, the hype could mislead the American
public toward a false sense of security.  I suppose if it stimulates the
economy, then that's good, but if it gets people guzzling more gas, then it's
really just a fool's game.

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/TblDefs/pet_move_imp_tbldef2.asp