I contacted a chemical engineer I used to work with (I was just a computer
monkey) and we did indeed use a lot of natural gas to fire various things and
also to produce hydrogen.  The hydrogen was used in a process to remove sulfur
from diesel.

So sorry, your real point that refineries consume a lot of natural gas is of
course correct.

I'll shut up now.