Re Doug's last comment:

It's about power and control. A justification for them. They are using 'religion' as a potent, unquestionable label to justify their behaviour. Much like fundamentalists from all 'religious traditions' Technically, the word 'religion' derives from 're-linking', as in 'ligature'.

'Religion' is a form of behaviour that many people use as a structure to establish their connection to faith.

Humans are built to believe in something. Linking to a sense of something [ larger, more consistent, trustworthy] than our small ego- minds is built into our way of conceptualizing our experience.

Science, politics, the earth, the truth, skepticism, god, etc etc - all the 'big' words are ideas that humans build into structures to support their need to believe. There is nothing wrong with that. It is not metaphysical craziness, just the way we are wired.

Great conversation. Thanks, Hussein.

Tory