On 10/6/12 12:29 AM, Sarbajit Roy wrote:
1) I am a "pure" ("acharya") Brahmin. This means that we marry
endogamously to ensure that chromosomes like Genghis Khan's do not
enter our genetic code,.
Thank you for the clarification, it makes sense. It shows how ignorant I am of the ways of other people in the world.
3) It seems that just under half of New Mexico's pop. is
Hispanic/Latino. Isn't it a pity their POVs on Prez elections / US
democracy aren't heard on FRIAM, as they have been ignored since the
Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo and Articles IX and  XI therein
Absolutely. It is equally a shame that the Native American voice is also not heard here. This group (whether at coffee or online) is a notably "White Male" bastion. I'm thankful to the 4 or 5 female voices that do manage to be heard here.

My interest in the elections is a *meta* interest in the structure and dynamics more than the specific politics. I think I'm clearly *not* a fan of Romney or the Republicans (at least in this era) but that is not the debate I'm seeking (left vs right). I'm seeking new ways of participation.

I have a lot of experience living among both Hispanic and Native communities and observe that the ancestral or historic patterns of culture they continue to hold underly a contemporary American political model. I believe strongly that NM is a blue state among red states for this very reason. The Native American heritage is generally *much more* communal and therefore receptive to socially progressive ideas. The Hispanic culture is rooted in a strong *Patronage* system where Webs of Authority and Power are structured hierarchically but where there is also an extremely strong sense of obligation and responsibility that comes with that power and authority.

I am most interested in the structure/dynamics aspect of these topics... but if there are members of this list/group *from* these (or other) cultural embeddings, or at least scholars on these cultures who can speak up, all the better. I'm just a tired, old, intuitive anecdotalist.

- Steve